"A Meeting of Minds on Cannery Row: Steinbeck
Now makes the connection between the writings of John Steinbeck and the theory of Social Ecology"
JKA begins Social Ecology Program with IRWA!
JKA and the International Right of Way Association deepened our partnership over the last few months to launch a Social Ecology program within the 10,000 member professional organization. After 4 years, 20 columns for their magazine, and 4 conferences seminars, we have begun a training program that will take us around the country in the coming months.
Here is how IRWA introduced the course to its members:
Introducing IRWA Course 225:
Social Ecology - Listening to Community
Techniques for creating harmony and positive community engagement in right of way acquisition project management
The pilot training session was held in Pablo, Montana in November, 2013. The January edition of 2014 of International Right of Way magazine summarizes that experience:
Jim Kent is a columnist for the Right of Way Magazine for the International Right of Way Association. What does it say when a 75-year old, well-established engineering magazine, dedicated to the technical aspects of energy site and corridor development, invited a regular column from Jim on Social Ecology, the Science of Community? Jim shares cutting edge insights, learning experiences and solutions. Read more»»
- "Social Ecology: A Special Collection of Articles on the Art and Science of Social Ecology", Jointly published by the International Right of Way Association and James Kent Associates, 2016
- IRWA #28 Nov/Dec, 2016 "Defending Sacred Land - The Power of Cultural Attachment"
- IRWA #27 Sept/Oct, 2016 "Geographic Democracy - A widespread power shift changing project outcomes"
- IRWA #26 May/June, 2016 "Mitigating the Fear"
- IRWA #25 March/April, 2016 "Stopping NIMBYism in its Tracks"
- IRWA #24 Workbook for Course #225, Social Risk Management for the Infrastructure Professional, A Manual for Best Practices in Community Engagement
- IRWA #23 Nov/Dec, 2014 A Fresh Perspective - Course field trip reveals impact on local community
- IRWA #22 January/February, 2015 "Preventing a Chain Reaction:
Understanding Social Risk as it Relates to Infrastructure Projects"
- IRWA #21 May/June, 2014 "Community Impact from a Global Perspective: Keeping Social Risk Assessments Close at Hand"
- IRWA #20 Jan/Feb, 2014 "The People Factor"
- IRWA #19 Nov/Dec, 2013 "A Grassroots Campaign"
- IRWA #18 Sept/Oct, 2013 "A Tale of Two Mines"
- IRWA #17 July/Aug, 2013 "Surging Industries in Global Energy"
- IRWA #16 Jan/Feb, 2013 "The Social Risk - When Citizens Organize to Fight a Project"
- IRWA #15 July/Aug, 2012 "Saving Fast Track: Alternative Energy Futures at Stake"
- IRWA #14 May/June, 2012 "Working Constructively with Concerned Citizens"
- IRWA #13 Jan/Feb, 2012 "The Promise and Peril of Corridor Expansion"
- IRWA #12 May/June, 2011 "Relocating the Marine Corps"
- IRWA #11 Jan/Feb, 2011 "Streamline Your Next Project: The Case for Goodwill"